Questions To Ask When Evaluating Child Care
Looking for the best care for your child can be a stressful challenge. It is important to ask several questions before deciding which environment is best for your child and family.
Our Children’s Center (OCC) knows what it takes to create a safe, caring and educational environment for your child. We have answered tough questions from concerned parents, and we have learned what matters most to families just like yours.
Ask the following important questions when you visit any child care center so you can easily compare and make the best decision for your family.
Questions About Staff
• What is the teacher-to-child ratio?
• Does staff communicate daily with parents about their child’s progress?
• Does staffing allow for each child to receive individual attention?
• Does staff read to the children?
• Does staff seem patient and receptive to children’s needs?
• Is staff respectful of children and parents?
• Does staff encourage children’s sharing, manners and other good behaviors?
• Does staff appear lively, smiling and interacting in a positive manner with children?
• Does staff involve children in daily learning activities?
Questions About Safety
• Does the facility appear orderly and clean?
• Are there age-appropriate toys in the classrooms?
• Are hazardous materials locked away?
• Is there an emergency plan and is it posted?
• Are there security measures in place?
• Is there a policy for sick children and other circumstances?
Questions About Child Engagement
• Do the children have a consistent routine that they can understand and follow?
• Do the children seem occupied and engaged?
• Are the children involved in activities that promote learning?
• Is there a policy on discipline?
• Do the children seem happy?
Questions About Your Observations
• Is your initial reaction a positive one?
• Is this a place my child would enjoy?
• Would my child be safe here?
• Would I/we feel comfortable using this program?
• Would my child learn new things every day at this program?
Additional Questions To Consider:
• May I visit any time?
• How do you handle discipline?
• What do you do if a child is sick?
• What would you do in case of emergency?
• What training does the staff have?
• Are children required to be immunized
• Does the staff have physical examinations?
• May I see a copy of your license or other certification?
• Do you have a substitute or back-up care giver?
• May I have a list of parents who have used your care?
• Where do children nap, and how are babies put to sleep?
About Our Children’s Center (OCC)
OCC takes each of these questions seriously and we can confidently address each one for you while you conduct your research. Please contact OCC to discuss how we care for our children like you would, to and learn more about us.
We know that selecting the right care and learning center for your child is a big decision. And, we understand that you want to be certain you have made the best choice for your child.
We assure parents that we care for your child like you would at Our Children’s Center (OCC). OCC Daycare provides a warm, safe and fun environment that helps your child develop socially, emotionally, physically and intellectually.
Our passionate teachers and innovative programs help your child discover that learning is fun, while making new friends and building strong relationships with teachers who partner with you in your child’s development. Our partnership includes regular communication with you about everyday moments and major milestones.
In addition, we provide excellent value and convenient locations that–combined with our commitment to helping your child learn and grow–we hope makes choosing OCC an easy decision.